DURO-TUSS Expectorant 200ml
Customer Declaration: I agree to use strictly as directed and if symptoms persist or if I suffer any adverse effects, I will contact my Doctor or Pharmacist. This is a "Pharmacy Medicine". By ordering this product I acknowledge that I have read and understand the information regarding the product.
Generic Name: Bromhexine hydrochloride, Pholcodine
Product Name: DuroTuss Expectorant
Duro-Tuss Cough Liquid Expectorant is a cough mixture used to relieve stubborn and irritating productive coughs (i.e. a cough that raises mucous/sputum from the respiratory tract) associated with bronchitis and other respiratory tract infections.
Duro-Tuss Cough Liquid Expectorant contains the active ingredients pholcodine and bromhexine.
Pholcodine is a cough suppressant that works in the part of the nervous system involved in controlling the cough reflex. The cough reflex is designed to protect the body by clearing foreign material and excess mucous. However, sometimes the cough reflex does not serve any useful purpose, and insteadf causes irritation and sleep deprivation. Pholcodine helps to reduce the intensity and frequency of the cough reflex.
Bromhexine works to break down thick mucous in the respiratory tract associated with respiratory infections, such that it becomes less viscous and can be easily coughed up.
- Not recommended in children under the age of 2 years.
- Safe to use during pregnancy. However, safety during breastfeeding has not been established and should not be used without medical advice.
- Tell your doctor if you have had any previous allergic reactions to medicines or preservatives before using.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any regular medication before using Duro-Tuss Cough Liquid Expectorant.
- May enhance the effects of alcohol – do not drive or operate machinery if affected.
- May be taken with or without food.
Duro-Tuss Cough Liquid Expectorant is generally well tolerated.
The following side effects may occur occasionally:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Indigestion or abdominal fullness
Consult your doctor if you experience any of the above symptoms, or any other unusual or abnormal symptoms that concern you.
Uncommon side effects
Very rarely, Duro-Tuss Cough Liquid Expectorant may cause life threatening allergic reactions.
If you have had any allergic reactions to medicines in the past, it is important to check with your doctor that Duro-Tuss Cough Liquid Expectorant is suitable for you. If you experience difficulty breathing or develop swelling of the face, lips or tongue following use of Duro-Tuss Cough Liquid Expectorant, seek emergency medical attention.
- MIMS Online. [Monograph online] MIMS Australia Pty Ltd 2003. [Cited January 14, 2008]. Available from: [URL Link]
- Australian Medicines Handbook 2007, Adelaide, Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, 2007.
- Lazo, J, Gilman A, Brunton L et al. Goodman & Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 11th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2006.
We Also Recommend